Avocado Chicken Salad
I had a challenge this week; make a meal for less than $3 per serving. When I saw six avocados for $6 and a rotisserie chicken for $5, I thought of a chicken salad made by a restaurant I worked at where they grill and chop chicken, make a salad and serve it on top of an avocado. They use mayonnaise and sometimes olive oil, but never take the avocado out of the shell and mix it into the salad. I have used avocado in place of mayo before so why not here? I bought only three avocados, used the celery and red pepper and lemon juice like they do, but added nuts, dill, beans and apple. The salad filled the six halves of avocado and there was plenty left over to put on a whole wheat ciabatta bread or salad, feeding at least eight people! Cost per serving, a little over $2.00; not too bad! Chicken $5, Avocados $3,Cannelini beans $1, Nuts $4, Red Pepper $1, Dill $1.50, Apple $.50, Lemon $.50Recipe Card
- 2 cups chopped chicken breast from store bought rotisserie chicken
- 3 avocados, split and scooped out
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1/2 cup cannellini beans
- 3/4 cup chopped apple
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup toasted and chopped walnuts or almonds
- 2 Tablespoons chopped dill
- 1 T dijon mustard
- 2T olive oil or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Scoop out avocados, mash with lemon juice. Add all other ingredients except the olive oil, mix add olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Serve in side the avocado shells, on whole wheat ciabatta bread or on top of salad greens.
- Tip: I use a food processor to chop all of the vegetables, nuts and herbs which saves time
Subscribe for the latest Real Tips!
I believe thatyou can be the by giving your body what it delicious, whole foods, movement, living mindfully, and connecting to others.
Enter your email below to get the latest Real Tips and Real Recipes, as well as exclusive access to members-only Recipes, eBooks, discounts, and more!
Let me help you be the best you possible: the REAL You.