Brownie Lovers Rejoice!
BROWNIE LOVERS REJOICE
by Deborah Shteierman, Dietetics Student
With Valentines Day around the corner, I am thinking about my all-time favorite, brownies. But before I reach for that sugary treat, I consider the following…An average brownie contains approximately 300 calories, 13g of fat, and 40g of sugar. And that’s for ONE brownie, for those of us who manage to eat just one…
Occasionally I’ll indulge and go for that traditional brownie, but more often than not, I want a healthier alternative. Replacing the fat in baked goods with zucchini has gotten the attention of health enthusiasts across the nation. Zucchini is a great source of antioxidants, and fiber, which can aid in weight loss.
I tried out this recipe and I was sold! Moist and full of chocolate, it’s everything I’m looking for in a brownie-without the calories, without a hint of green veggie to be seen, nor tasted. This recipe makes 16 brownies, one brownie weighing in at only 120 calories, 4g of fat, and 14g of sugar! Yum!!
· · · · · · · · · ·
Yummy Delicious Brownies!
- 2 large eggs
- 1- tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4- cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or whole spelt flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4- teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled and grated zucchini
- 1 ⁄2 cup chopped dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Line an 8"x8" pan with parchment paper or spray with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla, coconut sugar, and applesauce.
- Let sit for 5 minutes until the sugar dissolves.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Make sure there are no clumps before going on to the next step.
- Add the dry mix to the wet, and gently stir until combined. Be sure not to over mix!
- Fold in the zucchini and chocolate.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
Subscribe for the latest Real Tips!
I believe thatyou can be the by giving your body what it delicious, whole foods, movement, living mindfully, and connecting to others.
Enter your email below to get the latest Real Tips and Real Recipes, as well as exclusive access to members-only Recipes, eBooks, discounts, and more!
Let me help you be the best you possible: the REAL You.