Supper Spaghetti Sauce – Recipe Redux
Recipe ReDux played a little party game for the end of 2016: We had to grab our nearest cookbook and ReDux the recipe on page 201, 16, 216 – or any combo of the number “2016”. I pulled out my mom’s cookbook copyright 1955; a classic with some oldies, goodies and not so goodies. i was preparing sauce for Christmas dinner and there was a sauce on page 216 “Supper Spaghetti Sauce”. My mom always called dinner supper so this was perfect. The original had ground beef and chicken livers, chili powder and lots of salt. I substituted white meat chicken sausage for the beef and livers added tons more veggies, no salt, basil, a bit of wine and served it over whole wheat pasta. Refreshing, satisfying and nutritious to go with the lasagna!
<a href=”http://thereciperedux.com/category/current-redux/” rel=”nofollow”><img class=”aligncenter wp-image-18279 size-full” src=”http://teaspoonofspice.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Recipe-ReDux-linky-logo.jpg” alt=”recipe-redux-linky-logo” width=”400″ height=”248″ /></a>
Supper Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 pound of white chicken sausage out of the skin
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped zucchini
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2/28 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- 1/12 oz. can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 10-12 basil leaves
- black pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in large pot and saute chicken sausage until brown over medium high heat; add crushed red pepper. Remove sausage when brown and add onion, carrot, mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, and garlic. Saute over medium heat till tender and slightly brown adding oil if needed. Add the rest of ingredients and the sausage with drippings and bring to a boil. Turn down to low and simmer for 30 minutes or so until thickened. Season with pepper. Serve over whole wheat spaghetti, zoodles or spinach.
Subscribe for the latest Real Tips!
I believe thatyou can be the by giving your body what it delicious, whole foods, movement, living mindfully, and connecting to others.
Enter your email below to get the latest Real Tips and Real Recipes, as well as exclusive access to members-only Recipes, eBooks, discounts, and more!
Let me help you be the best you possible: the REAL You.