I received an entire box of free Toufayan Pita Pockets (http://www.Toufayan.com) to enter into a sponsored recipe contest, and am eligible to win a prize for this recipe! Although I was not compensated for my time, I was able to eat these delicious chicken veggie burgers stuffed inside healthy whole wheat pita pockets!
I usually buy my chicken burgers already made from the butcher, but I always think I can make a healthier, tastier version. I wanted to see how they would come out if I added my own vegetables and extra lean chicken chop meat. I loved the organic sprouted whole wheat pitas I used for my Pita Rabbit, and had leftover sauteed vegetables so I added those to the burgers.
I cooked them inside this time instead of outside on the grill.
They were absolutely amazing with avocado, tomato, spinach leaves and some salsa verde; yummy!
Veggie Chicken Burger in a Whole Wheat Pita Pocket
- 16 oz 98% chopped chicken meat
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup red pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup zucchini chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1 tablesppon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon parsley chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup jalapeno light cheddar cheese shredded
- 6 Toufayan Organic Whole Wheat Sprouted Pitas toasted
- Chop the vegetables in a food processor, cook with a small amount of canola oil until softened. Mix the chop meat, bread crumbs and zucchini mixture together. Form 6 patties. Fry in the canola oil. Top with a small amount of cheese.
- Serve inside a toasted whole wheat pita pocket stuffed with toppings of your choice.